A points-based scheme is being introduced covering migration to work and study in the UK.
- 1. From March 2009, all students coming to the UK on programs of longer than 6 months in duration will be assessed under the new system – as “Tier 4” applicants i.e. the student category
- 2. Students will need to show that they are “sponsored” i.e. have an offer from a licensed institution to study full-time on a program which leads to a minimum qualification within the UK’s National Qualification Framework
- 3. Once applicants have met all the conditions of their offer we will issue a Certificate of Acceptance of Sponsorship (CAS) to enable them to apply for a student visa. Please note that this will be in the form of a unique ID number.
Documents required for CAS:
- 1. Passport number, passport issue and expiry dates (where student has a passport).
- 2. A complete list of qualifications on the application form.
- 3. Applicants for student visas will also need to demonstrate that they have funding for the first year of the course AND £600 per month (£800 if they are going to a university in London) to cover living costs for the calendar year.
- 4. Student visas will be issued for named institutions and students wishing to change university either before or after coming to the UK will need to apply for re approval.
- 5. ATAS’s Certificate: ATAS is a tool the UK government uses to help deliver this objective by working with Higher Education Institutions. If the student meets the criteria for ATAS, the Immigration Rules state that they need to have an ATAS certificate before they apply for their visa, or extension of stay.
Applicants must be genuine students under the new system.
Visa processing time:
You can apply for your visa within three months of your intended date of travel. Processing time varies immensely depending upon time and volume of the applications.
Rs 19, 150/-
ENTRY CLEARANCE AND IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS
Entry info the UK will be managed by the UK Border and Immigration Agency with the introduction of the new points based system (PBS).
Summary for Points calculation:
You need 40 points to be able to apply for a student visa. You will need to provide the evidence needed with your application form.
- 30 points – Doing a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (also known as sponsorship) Evidence required is a confirmation of acceptance for studies reference number issued by your approved education provider, and the documents used to obtain it.
- 10 points – Having enough money to cover your course fees and living costs (also known as maintenance). Evidence required is Bank statement or letter confirming that you have enough money to cover your course fees and living costs for a given period.